09 June 2007

Lake Pics

I know I was going to do this blog with my lake pics but I wanted to say that if my friend reads this, and you know who you are, please read the blog entry below. I miss ya and want to catch up but it didn't work out....

Anyway, on to the lake!

I thought these were pretty pics....


It's a shame I can't figure out how to put these buggers side by side. These pics are even better in the fall when the leaves are turning and it's mirrored on the lake. So far it's been a pretty dry summer so we should have a spectacular color show this year! At least one good thing from the drought.

From our deck, we can see the fireworks across from this bridge from the ballfield of a minor league baseball team. Just gorgeous at night! You can see the long boats (or john boats... whatever you want to call them) along the shoreline, just waiting for the fishermen. You can only fish from the boats, not the shore. (It has something to do with being a watershed.) This is the first bridge of three across this 3 mile lake. Rumor has it that there is an alligator that hangs out just in the first cove to the right past the first bridge. I haven't seen it and count myself lucky.

This is the old pumphouse (that still works for the dam/spillway in the background). The ponding of water at the bottom of the dam has the biggest doggone fish! They don't have anywhere else to go. It feeds into a major creek from there that is miles and miles long. You can see it very well but it's fenced in. When I was little, we could walk out there, no fence. My sister and her friends (in a form and trance of stupidity) walked along the top of it when they were younger, holding on to the guidewire than ran from one side to the other. Even more stupidly, they took a pic of themselves doing it. Ugh.


You can see the bottom of the spillway on this one. It's a long way down! You can't see the mounds of rocks to the right of the bottom but that is where you will find the biggest and longest of the cottonmouths (water moccasins). They will get up on a rock and then slide into the water, silent but fast, going after a fish. It's almost hypnotic to watch. I couldn't watch it if I was any closer.You can see the boathouse as well as the little pier. The boathouse is full of water snakes of all kinds. I made a 1/4 turn in my step and took a picture of my house.

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates