09 June 2009

Welcome to June 2009

It's interesting. I start working on something, like a blog, get distracted and then off I go. I enjoyed my blog when I was doing it 2 years ago. With everything that was going on in my life at the time, I'm surprised I got what I did down on it. July 1, 2007, I was dealing with my dad in a nursing home, my granddaddy (my dad's dad) in the same nursing home, my grandmama (my dad's mom) was living with us and not in the best of health, another granddaddy in another nursing home and my grandmother who lived at home but couldn't drive. We were also building a 2 story addition to our house so that my mother (who was also and still is living with us) and my grandmama could have their own 'living' areas, complete with a mini-kitchen, bathroom, and walk-in closet for each. The top floor was for grandmama. It was desigined with her in mind with very wide doorways and handicap enabled bathroom. We were closed on her house on Tuesday, July 3rd. By Thursday, July 5th almost midnight, we (mom and I) were at the emergency room at the hospital closest to dad's nursing home. He had choked earlier on food and was now having problems breathing. His heart rate kept running up to over 200 beats per minute and staying there. Sepsis was rearing its ugly head.
Skip to July 7th, 2007 when he passed away that morning. My grandmama, his mother, was heartbroken.
My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) passed away December 7, 2007. I had been in negotiations with the local county Hospice and Palliative Care to get him moved when that happened.
The same December, a nasty stomach bug made its appearance Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. My grandmother sat in silence for most of Christmas Day. My dad's birthday (her only child) had been the day before, Christmas Eve. We normally have lots of people and family over to eat but we did nothing but puke ourselves silly, before and after Santa's visit.
By December 27th, Hospice was called in for my grandmama who was living with us (my dad's mom). She just let go and passed away on January 5th, 2008, laying in my old bedroom.
Speed up to February.... granddaddy (dad's dad) got really sick with a fever of 106. He passed away on February 13th, 2008. He had told me the day before that he was going to see "Louise" (my grandmama, his wife). I had told him, "not today. Today is not a good day to do that. Let's wait until tomorrow". He said, "ok" and smiled a feverish little smile. He held on until almost 6pm the next day but I guess her call was stronger than mine.
Don't let me forget to add that my dad's best friend, JAE, died 5 days after daddy at his home.
In less than 8 months, I had buried 5 people who were close to me. There were others who died during this time but I was not as close to them. I had a great aunt who died right after granddaddy.
After that came all the mess with sorting out medical bills, funeral bills, insurance policies, and wills. There was more than that but that is the jist of it.
I had started the blog to get that kind of stuff off of my mind for 5 minutes. It didn't help that way but it did help me sort it out a bit.
Of course, we also had the usual family stuff that goes on in the time between the last one dying and now. My daughter broke her leg on Christmas Day (2008). A month or so later, we realized she had 2 cysts on her ovaries and a kidney stone. I kind of felt like life was picking on my poor 15 year old. She now has a torn tendon but hopefully she will not have to have surgery. The doctors had discussed surgery on the other things but she didn't have to have any of it, thank God! I'm afraid she may have run out of luck this time. Time will tell though.

As for this blog, I've got some ideas that I want to bounce off of this thing like a sounding board. I would love for it to eventually be some kind of money-maker for me but I think that is a 1 in 1million (or more) shot. Hey, a girl's gotta dream, doesn't she?

Hopefully, at the least, I will eventually gain some writing skills that I have a severe need of.
Or maybe I'll just write like I talk and it won't matter but to those who give a flying farkle.
:o)

Floosyjane
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates