12 June 2009

Hunting the Midday Deer

I found this on http://www.gameandfishmag.com.

How And Why To Hunt Mid-Day Deer
Do you take a mid-day break when you hunt deer? If you do, you might be missing out on a nice buck.
By Bruce Ingram
The year was 1989, and I was in my fifth year as a deer hunter -- barely past the novice stage and nowhere near knowledgeable about whitetail behavior. The rut was on, but I had to work half a day and wasn't able to enter the woods until past noon. No sooner had I sat down than a nice 7-pointer (that is, nice for someone of my very limited skills) came charging up to my stand site from behind.

The animal was in such a rush that by the time I turned and fired my .30/06, he was only 10 yards away. Later when I field dressed the buck, I noticed that he was wet and that he obviously had been running after does.
On that occasion, I didn't ponder at all about the time I killed my early afternoon whitetail, but as the years went by, I began to recognize certain patterns. From the time I began deer hunting, I have always recorded the date, time, distance and the location (habitat) of where I have shot every deer I have ever killed -- regardless of whether the whitetail was taken with a bow, muzzleloader, rifle or shotgun.

For the rest of this interesting article, see: Hunting the Midday Deer
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates